Saturday, June 18, 2011

Back in my day, T.G.I.F. meant sitting in front of my TV, eating pizza, and watching Boy Meets World.

Fridays used to be cool, but now it seems that they are apparently an excuse to write annoying songs.

First, we had the infamous "Friday" by darling Rebecca Black, which exploded the internet and made way for a ton of  memes and jokes all at the expense of this poor girl. And now, on an even bigger scale, Katy Perry has released a song along with a video called "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)." You can watch it, if you want to spend the 8 minutes watching it, please do so.  It's full of guest stars from the 80s, 90s, and today. That's the gimmicky, slightly redeeming quality of the video if it has any.


I suppose this might be a personal taste thing, but at the same time, this song and video just ANNOY me. I usually don't have a problem with Katy Perry or pop music, because it's pop, and it's supposed to appeal to the masses. But I don't think we need anymore songs dedicated to days of the week, catchy and relatable as they may be. Personally, I think The Cure did it the best with "Friday I'm in Love," and he managed to cover all the days with that.

2 comments:

  1. It's ironic that I see this now as I work at the Garden in Boston and Katy Perry happened to be performing last night. I watched a few songs and while I'm no avid Katy Perry fan, I'll sing along if something comes on the radio or have a cheap laugh at how her songs really have no substance but can hook me in each time. But watching the stage show that looked like candy land exploded everywhere and the people just having a fun silly time, it was nice to see the carefree attitudes a lot of the people had. That can't be so bad as long as everyone involved knows they're not witnessing something incredibly deep and meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that the music industry does not have any originality anymore. Unless you consider Lady Gaga to be the most original but I also think she is the most out there human being. How many singers actually write their own songs nowadays not that many and the music industry are looking for songs that are catchy and people can easily listen along to them so using days of the week are a preety easy way out. I want the creativity to come back to music so I dont feel like im listening to the same lyrics, beats, and autotune on every track.

    ReplyDelete